Reducing Property Investment Risk with Property Valuation Software
At the core of any property investment risk management strategy is an accurate valuation of the property to be purchased. Accurate valuation can lead on to effective budgeting of the investment or development project. Accurate valuation and budgeting allows the investor or developer to obtain a clear picture of the property and to make sound finance decisions on that basis. Many investors use property valuation software to create an accurate and up to date valuation before they make a decision about purchasing the property. These are some of the ways a solid project valuation and development software package can assist with minimising and managing risk.
Accurate, Independent Valuations
Instead of relaying on advisors or information from agents, it’s possible for investors or developers to obtain independent valuations. Instead, investors may choose to use input data derived from professional valuators or other research sources to yield an accurate assessment of the potential of the property. With the help of real estate development software, investors can make sure they have a reliable way to generate independent valuations and conduct their own forecasting.
What an accurate and independent valuation can tell the investor:
- Key performance indicators, such as profit margins, net present value, and internal rate of return.
- The outcomes of different scenarios and variations in inputs.
- Risk assessment by taking into account variable such cash flow and changing costs of financing.
- The residual land value of the property based on different development scenarios.
Effective budgeting facilitates risk management by contributing to better decision making over the longer term. Accurate valuation, feasibility, and forecasting can contribute to better and more accurate budgeting. Property valuation software also often allows investors to visualise different scenarios and adjust budget variances. This degree of flexibility means investors can leverage software to generate more complicated and detailed forecasts than ever before.
This can facilitate better decision making in the future and enhances development project management for developers. Accurate costing and revenue forecasts leads to better risk management as investors or developers are able to better anticipate and prepare for future trends.
How property valuation software assists with budgeting:
- Simplifying data input by allowing users to import data from accounting programs.
- Generate forecasts based on profit, NPV, IRR and other common key performance indicators.
- Generate easy budget reports based on the latest figures, which can be overwritten against forecast data.
Effective risk management also means that the investor or developer can track commitments and compare these against actual cash flow data, which can include expenditure and revenue data. This allows investors to compare forecasts and actual figures, which again leads to better future planning. Figures, especially key performance indicators, can be updated and revised over time to ensure a high degree of accuracy for projections.
How property valuation and/or development software assists with tracking commitments:
- A single interface for all the project’s appraisal, budget, and forecasting data.
- Update forecast data with actual data to create reports for comparison.
- Some programs will have a function that allows timeline views so that the user can obtain an overview of the entire project.